This guidon is made of a silk bunting that is sewn together from pieces. This guidon is 2-sided with a sleeve that has 2 leather tabs. This piece measures 29" by 19". The number 115 and letter B is embroidered with green silk thread along with crossed swords & Pershing's Tank. This guidon is green on yellow.
This M1931 Armored Cavalry guidon is in great shape to be 68 years old and made out of silk. The feeling of this piece is like that of an older silk flag. This is a pure silk not a Poly-Silk like what you would see on a reproduction piece.The stitching of this guidon looks like it was made with a smaller pedal machines. The stitching is very close together and not tight like what you would see from a modern sewing machine from the 1960's on. The guidon's embroidery looks to be done by an older machine. The embroidery is nicely done, yet, it's not perfectly done like that of modern pieces. The silk of this piece is faded from use, age, & display. The yellow has almost changed to a white in areas. This is further proof that the material is silk. Rayon changes to pastel colors as it fades from UV light. The leather tabs are show age.
They are cracked, yet they are still intact. Putting all of this history & physical evidence together, we can conclude that this is a period piece from the Korean War Era and was manufactured in the early 1950's.
Furthermore, this M1931 Armored Cavalry guidon was privately made for this Cavalry Troop and was most likely made by a seamstress than by private contract. From US Army history we see that flags & guidons were made by Officers wives or other family members for newly formed units. This practice took place well into the 20th Century. That being said, this guidon was most likely made by a family member for the newly formed Cavalry Regiment in 1951. This Korean War Era guidon is the first of the green on yellow guidons that are seen today.The Corps color of yellow that was associated with the U. Cavalry was given to the newly formed U. It is seen with the changes of Divisional colors from Red over Green to Red over Yellow and the Armored guidon was changed from white on green to green on yellow.
That being said, this is a very early Armored Cavalry guidon for a historic National Guard Cavalry. They were stationed in Cheyenne, Wyoming. After 1953 Co B was separated from the 115th FAG. Co B has a separate linage after 1953.This was the 1st Wyoming Cavalry Regiment until 1940. Truly a great Cavalry Guidon and the last of the Wyoming Cavalry that was established in 1888. 115th Armored Cavalry - Organized 1951 in the Wyoming Army National Guard from new and existing units.
Broken up 1953 and elements redesignated as units of the 115th Field Artillery Group, which later became the 115th Field Artillery Brigade. HISTORY OF THE 115th Armored Cavalry Reg't. The 115th Field Artillery Brigade, known as "Cowboy Thunder" is an artillery formation of the United States Army, raised by the Wyoming Army National Guard.
It is headquartered in Cheyenne, Wyoming. Its history stretches back to the 1800s when Wyoming was a U. The first muster formation was in 1888 as 1st Regiment Infantry.It was redesignated as the 115th Field Artillery Brigade September 1, 1978. The Headquarters and Headquarters Company, 197th Armored Cavalry Group, and the 115th and 117th Tank Battalions were consolidated 1 March 1951 to form the 115th Armored Cavalry, with Headquarters at Cheyenne.
Headquarters and Headquarters Company, 115th Armored Cavalry, converted and redesignated 16 January 1953 as Headquarters and Headquarters Battery, 115th Field Artillery Group (remainder of regiment-hereafter separate lineages). Redesignated 1 August 1959 as Headquarters and Headquarters Battery, 115th Artillery Group.Consolidated 18 December 1967 with Company C, 102d Engineer Battalion (organized and Federally recognized 25 September 1956 at Cheyenne), and consolidated unit designated as Headquarters and Headquarters Battery, 115th Artillery Group. Redesignated 1 May 1972 as Headquarters and Headquarters Battery, 115th Field Artillery Group. Redesignated 1 September 1978 as Headquarters and Headquarters Battery, 115th Field Artillery Brigade. In 1959, the 300th Armored Field Artillery Battalion was consolidated with two other armored field artillery battalions into the 49th Field Artillery under the Combat Arms Regimental System. In 1996, the 49th was reorganized and redesignated as the 300th Field Artillery.
In the mid 1980s, the brigade consisted of the 1st Battalion, 49th Field Artillery Regiment, and the 3rd Battalion, 49th Field Artillery. The regiment had a long history, dating back to units formed in the Wyoming Territory. On 1 September 1996, both battalions were reorganized into a single towed artillery battalion, the 2-300 FA. The new battalion remained headquartered in Sheridan.
On 10 July 1940 the U. Army Armored Forcewas created and on February 25, 1942 Army Circular 56 created a new collar insignia, consisting of the left side view of a Mark VIII tank.
This simple tank design had no decorations or other objects surrounding it, and was the insignia worn by U. Army "Armor" branch collar insignia , which consists of the front view of a U.
M-26 Pershing tank superimposed over two crossed swords, replaces the WWII collar insignia with the "Army Regorganization Act of 1950, Section 404, Army Bulletin 9", in which the current Armor insignia became authorized to wear in February 1951. The item "Post WW2 M1931 115th Armored Cavalry Regt Wyoming NTL GRD GUIDON KOREAN WAR" is in sale since Sunday, April 21, 2019.
This item is in the category "Collectibles\Militaria\WW II (1939-45)\Original Period Items\United States\Flags & Banners". The seller is "littlebelleblue" and is located in Chesnee, South Carolina. This item can be shipped to United States.